Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Features! Features! Features!... (LinkedIn Endorsements)


LinkedIn Endorsements was just rolled out by LinkedIn.  I was immediately suspicious of the whole thing as another way to suck up some of my time endorsing people (I have already written over 70 recommendations  but I gave in and started playing around with the new features, and plugged in some keywords for myself.  Within about the couple of weeks, I have about 25 endorsements in my lead category.


Features:
  • Easy way to give a "thumbs up" to someone who did a good job for you. -Digital Trends.com
  • Share parts of your experience you are hoping to get more recognition in.
  • One click as opposed to a recommendation like this: 


Socialmediaexaminer.com writes:
"This new feature is a very easy way to endorse the skills of others and vice versa. When coupled with LinkedIn’s already robust Recommendations feature, it’s a very positive way to promote not only your personal brand, but also the brands of your connections."


My Conclusions:
  • This is a good supplement to the already robust recommendation feature of LinkedIn
  • It is extremely surface level.  Its equivalent to a "like" on facebook as opposed to a comment
  • It adds up over time.  "Expertise" can be in part shown by a significant quantity of +1's 
  • I would ALWAYS rather get a recommendation from someone than a simple +1, but I will never turn down more exposure on LinkedIn

Resources:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/linkedin-rolls-out-skill-endorsements-and-its-as-easy-as-one-click/
http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/linkedin-endorsements/

No comments:

Post a Comment